Skip to main content

Zune Marketplace Sucks

I like my Zune. The physical device is a great little media player. The one thing wrong with it is the software wrapped around it.

The Zune marketplace is the only control system for the Zune. If you want to put music on it, you have to use the Zune Marketplace software.

Today, I tried to burn some music and push it to my Zune. I only burn from CD and never buy anything online. Apparently this is not the usecase of the Zune demographic. After I burned my WMA files, I clicked on the "Sync" button in Zune Marketplace. What I got after that was a bucket of frustration. Apparently the software could not put the new music on the Zune, for whatever reason - don't know. All that I ever got was a generic "An error occured while synching ..."

So I decided to remove the old software and re-install. I downloaded the Zune software from zune.net and proceeded to uninstall the old Zune Marketplace. After rebooting my computer, I installed the supposed "updated" Zune Marketplace software. Well, actually, it isn't the latest version because the installer had to download an additional update. WTF.

Then I rebooted my computer again because the install process locked up while trying to discover my Zune. Figures. Yet another usecase that the dimwits didn't plan for.

After reboot, I plugged in the Zune and the Zune Marketplace software came up. This time, it asks me if this is a "Guest" Zune, or if I want to replace the contents of the Zune with my library. Hmm. I guess remembering the last "Zune" device wasn't part of the software spec again, so yet another failure.

I chose to "replace the contents of the Zune" with my library (which is already ON the Zune) and clicked Next. I am still waiting. It has been about 30 minutes. I am still waiting.

Let's recap the fun adventure this has been:

1. Zune Marketplace (ZM) download from zune.com is NOT the latest software.
2. During installation, ZM is not able to identify your zune if it already existed in a previous incarnation on your computer.
3. ZM uninstall removes any memory of your already configured zune.
4. ZM re-installation appears to do something unknown, and for a very long time, when it tries to re-establish your library on your already-configured Zune.

When I got the Zune and converted my iTunes library over to it, the process was smooth. If I had left it alone and not tried to add more music to it, then I would be listening to music right now. Instead, I just stare longingly at my Zune and wonder if I should just go back to my iPod. Of course, if I wanted to import the WMA files that I ripped this morning, I would have to do it on a per-file basis, which would take me forever. Yet more foresight by Steve Jobs Inc. Yeah.

Why does commercial software suck so bad today? I just don't get it. This problem appears to be a plague for all software vendors, not just Microsoft, Apple, and SUN.

Popular posts from this blog

Number of Primes

Anderson's Theorem (a) The number of primes in [1,n] is no more than 2+floor(n/2). The probability of n being prime when n is not prime is 1/2 - see Dasgupta,Papadimitriou,Vazirani "Algorithms" page 26. Therefore, the E(pi(n)) is n/2. (b) There does not exist another set of adjacent primes other than {1,2,3} 5: 2 + floor(5/2) = 2 + 2 = 4:=> {1,2,3,5} : 4 <= 4 7: 2 + floor(7/2) = 2 + 3 = 5 => {1,2,3,5,7} : 5 <= 5 11: 2 + floor(11/2) = 2 + 5 = 7 => {1,2,3,5,7,11} 6 <= 7 26: 2 + floor(26/2) = 15 => {1,2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19,23} : 10 <= 15 Lagrange's Theorem is Inaccurate Lagrange's theorem about primes states that pi(x) is the number of primes <= x. The pi(x) is approximately x/ln(x). He postulated that the lim of pi(x)/(x/lnx) as x-> infinity was 1. This is incorrect. if the number of primes is bounded by n/2 then refactoring and reducing Lagrange's Theorem results in the lim of ln(x) as x approaches infinity. This is alwa...

How To Cancel ATT Uverse

I was a subscriber to the AT&T Uverse service for a little over 2 years. In that time, we had experienced good service for the first year, and then it sucked. After 12 months, or there in, the service degraded quickly, and would stop working all together at times. At first it would die for a short period of time, usually when we were not home. Then it would get progressively worst, until there was an entire week of no service. We had technicians at the house trying to fix the service, but it would repeat the behavior quite consistently. On January 15th we finally gave up and switched to a lesser service, COX TV and Internet. In the past we had cable service and it was always reliable, but not as good as the AT&T digital service. COX doesn't have nearly as many HD channels, but that's not enough. We needed internet to be reliable, and AT&T couldn't deliver that. Cancelling the AT&T service was a nightmare. Try to find anything about such things on their web s...

A Self Defeating Race False Narrative

2020 is the year of the pandemic. The SARS-Cov-2 (Covid19) virus has rampaged across the planet infecting 4,893,136 [1] people by May 20, 2020. At this time, of those 4.8M people, 323,256 people have perished from complications that arise from the infection. Arising out of this pandemic has been a narrative about non-white ethnic groups being disproportionately affected by the infection [6,7,8]. A narrative that conditions people to believe that they are perpetually victims only creates a "collective victimhood" [4,5] in that group. This "collective victimhood" costs its members millions in unrealized potential, sends them cowering from social interactions that would otherwise benefit them, and ultimately creates an environment that perpetuates itself. Let's try to dispel that false narrative and deal just with data. I pulled my data from the CDC [9] looking at mortality only. The mortality data from CDC contains per-state mortality rates on a per-infectio...